Who We Are: Voted one of the “2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Best Firms to Work For,” WestLAND Group is a full-service Civil Engineering, Geospatial, and Land Planning Firm providing creative and innovative solutions to public and private clients throughout California since 2000. The firm specializes in civil engineering/site development, utility engineering, surveying and mapping, land planning, and GIS. As a Small Business Enterprise and Women’s Business Enterprise, WLG offers the mentorship and friendly, fast paced environment of a small company coupled with the professional growth opportunities, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits found at larger firms. Our firm is dedicated to finding quality candidates and we offer a competitive compensation plan and an excellent benefit package which includes the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance, including a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account options
- Paid Time Off (15-days)
- 401k Plan with a generous company match
- Flexible Work Schedule (9/80; Half-day Fridays, etc.) or Hybrid Work Schedule (Teleworking, Telecommuting)
The Position: The Director of Pipeline Engineering is responsible for managing and directing the Pipeline Engineering Department and for developing and implementing department protocols, procedures, and serving as the business and technical leader. Will be responsible for securing new business opportunities and clients, developing department annual revenue goals, preparing / overseeing proposals for new projects and directing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment including preparation of plans, reports, schedules and budgets.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with our without notice.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the management, planning, scheduling, and budgeting of multiple engineering projects and personnel
- Manage project objectives by collaborating with client and company personnel, developing project proposals, and working closely with WLG Business Development and Leadership Teams on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Manage and organize a team of engineers by assembling, communicating with, directing, and assigning responsibilities
- Negotiating proposals with and contracting with approved subconsultants
- Control multiple projects simultaneously by directing and approving changes in design, specification, budget, and schedule consistent with project objectives
- Ensure both project and department revenue goals, deadlines, and budgets are met while adhering to the company’s design and engineering standards
- Provide direction and training to fellow personnel including assignment of responsibilities and tasks
- Administer annual performance reviews, interview, hire, and train employees as well as address complaints and resolve problems from clients or staff
- Clearly understand and explain (to WLG employees or subcontractors) client engineering and design standards to ensure project deliverables meet contractual specifications
- Approve quality of work by analyzing design, client requirements, and performance standards and provide needed feedback regarding accuracy, completeness and value.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferably mechanical, petroleum, or in a related field in the gas and petroleum industry
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the state of California preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in managing pipeline engineering projects
- Working understanding of utility operations, CPUC ratemaking/oversight, system designs, gathering systems, meter and compressor stations, production systems, hydraulic modeling, hydrostatic testing, and project controls. Understanding of the federal regulatory and environmental permitting process is a plus
- Experience with computer-aided drafting software including AutoCAD, Plant3D, and Civil3D. Experience with MicroStation is a plus
- Prior experience with managing and developing a staff as well as familiarity with a project scopes and budgets
- Experience in preparing proposals as well as maintaining project deadlines and budgets
- Excellent technical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to multitask and work on several projects concurrently
- Proven marketing skills and ability to secure new clients within the pipeline industry
WestLAND Group is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.